Friday, January 28, 2011

Day 14: Living and Losing

The topic of today's blog is generally something I try to avoid like the plague but I feel like after tonight, I can no longer ignore it and act like it will go away. Simply because of this: it will not go away.

A lot of my friends are graduating at the end of this school year. That is really sad. They are going to get married, grow up, move away. It is really hard to keep in contact with people who are far away living their lives their way and starting to truly be grown ups. This is not the first time I have experienced this particular loss. Last year, it happened much more than I thought I could ever handle.

First semester, my very good friend Rebecka got married and moved to the godforsaken state of South Dakota where she currently resides with her husband, freezing to death in the negative temperatures. Then, the following semester, my 2 very good friends, Casey and Kadilyn, got married within a week of each other and also moved away and started their lives with their new husbands.

It is not that I am not happy for them, because really I am. But it is so hard to see the people you love the most, leave. Then, it's not just hard for them to not be around you every day, but now they are working 9-5, living their lives as grown ups and the sacrifice of your friendship is easily made with all the new things to do and see and experience. This semester, I am losing most of my friends.

I can't be too angry that they are all leaving and growing up, because at the end of next year when I graduate, I will be doing the same thing. I will be getting the heck out of Oklahoma and hopefully for good. I can't stand the idea of living here longer than I need to. Anyway, tonight all of my friends and I (minus a few) got together at the Lindquist house (they are out of town) and had a really wonderful dinner and dessert, sat around and talked and laughed and joked, watched a movie, and really just got to enjoy the company of the people around them. I loved every second. It is these kinds of moments I will miss the most next year but I know that everything will be okay.

It's just hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment