Friday, January 21, 2011

Day 6: From Fairy Tale to Nightmare

Once upon a time, a California girl moved to the small town of Bartlesville, Oklahoma. Why, might you ask? Well that is a WONDERFUL question. Sometimes I ask myself that same question. You see, I am that California girl.

Although I have met some really amazing people, I have been able to grow, and mold into my own person, and I wouldn't trade this experience for any other, I have often wondered why in the world Oklahoma is the place I had to do this growing up part of my life.

You see, it's not that I mind the distance from my family and friends because I know that they will mostly still love me when I return. It's not that Oklahoma is flat and boring. It's not even the fact that in my first week of school as a freshman, I was asked to call the police to tell them a black cow was walking down the freeway at night time. No, it's none of those things at all.

You see, in California, it RARELY gets below 45 degrees Fahrenheit, which is not very cold at all, in comparison. But in this "great state" of Oklahoma it gets down to the single and negative digits. Completely unacceptable. In fact, just yesterday it snowed 5 inches and guess what? School was not canceled. But, much like myself, my car is a California guy, and there was no way I was attempting to drive him out of the parking lot that is my house driveway so I ended up walking to school. Granted, walking to school means walking about 300 yards before I get on campus and another 500 or so to get to my actual classroom but in the single digit, snowy weather, it was not my favorite option.

I am sure you get my point now. My story doesn't end but this is where I am at. And the California girl melted happily ever after (all night) under her heated electric blanket while she talked to her best friend on the phone about life, love, and FRIENDS (the t.v. show, that is). Tomorrow would be a warmer day. She can't wait to see what lies ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment